The Catalan Film Academy organizes and gives the annual awards in order to promote the best films, artists and technicians of the catalan cinematography.
The Gaudí Awards are an initiative of the Col·legi de Directors de Cinema de Catalunya and they come from the Barcelona Awards, born on 2002.
The main goal of the Academy's Gaudí Awards is to give them the prestige that other prizes of this kind have, in Europe and worldwide. The Academy is an institution that gathers professionals in this sector, the academy members, who vote and decide the annual awards' winners.
The Gaudí Awards are divided in 22 different categories.
- Best Film
- Best Film in non-Catalan language
- Best Direction
- Best Screenplay
- Best Leading Actress
- Best Leading Actor
- Best Production Management
- Best Documentary Film
- Best Short Film
- Best Film for TV
- Best Animated Film
- Best Art Direction
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Film Editing
- Best Original Score
- Best Cinematography
- Best Costume Design
- Best Sound
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Make-Up and Hairstyles
- Best European Film
In addition, the Academy give the Honorary Gaudí Award - Miquel Porter as a recognition to a renown professional who, with his or her work, has contributed to the Catalonian cinema growth.
The Gaudí Award is a design by the sculptors Montse Ribé and David Martí, inspired by the warriors' heads of La Pedrera building of Barcelona.
The Gaudí, an original bronze figure with a 4 kilos weight, has its own personality and despite being younger, it's compared to Goya, Cesar, Donatello, BAFTA, Berlin Bear and Oscar awards.
The way to the Gaudí Awards gala is full of parallel activities which generate expectation and weekly news for the media.
- In the emblematic Gaudí building of La Pedrera, which inspires the award, takes place the reading of the 22 categories nomination.
- Previously, the nomination of the new Academy Honorary Members is announced to the press.
- Barcelona's Major hosts the "family picture" with the Gaudí's nominees in a reception at Palauet Albéniz of Barcelona. During this event takes place a public recognition to the new Honorary Members.
- The day after the gala, the Culture Minister receives the winners at the Generalitat de Catalunya Palace.